Wednesday 6 January 2010

VK: 'I'm a believer'

Another Hughes loyalist comes out in clear support of the new regime:
"In the short period that we've been able to work with him [Mancini], I think the most important thing is that he's been able to put over his ideas to the team quite quickly.

"Most times, a new coach will need acertain period to adapt, but it has seemed to go well. We seem to beplaying the way that he wants, and we've tuned into his football philosophy.

"It's not an emphasis on defence. I believe that he pays a lot of attention to details, and he makes it clear what he wants. Everybody on that pitch knows exactly what he has to do.

"We do a lot of drills and work on tactical situations every day. There's a lot of emphasis on tactics and intelligent football, before power and pace.

"He's got his own approach to the job, but drills are quite usual with a lot of Continental teams, though maybe it's something new for some of the English players.

"You have to use your brain, it's not just about enjoying your football. It demands concentration as well. I enjoy it because I'm a big supporter of the tactical approach. I'm a believer."

Kompany makes an important point - the changes that Mancini has made do not just mean 'being more defensive', but actually 'being better at defending' too.

1 comment:

satis said...

I love hearing this talk of drills, details and concentration. An intelligent, tactically astute City side makes me quiver with excitement.