Wednesday 6 January 2010

Verón turns down City move

An interesting transfer story in Wednesday's Guardian: Juan Sebastián Verón, formerly of Manchester United, has turned down a move to City. Verón, who played with Roberto Mancini at Smpdoria and Lazio, and for him at Inter, has decided to stay with his boyhood club Estudiantes:

The 34-year-old told Italy's Corriere Dello Sport that he had turned down the chance to join City after a bid of £7m was lodged with his club, Estudiantes. "I did it for my family," said Verón. "But also because I chose to continue my career here at Estudiantes and I want to respect this contract."

The player's agent, Miguel Pires, had earlier confirmed in a Daily Star report that City had made an inquiry and followed up the approach with an offer. "I was very surprised with this position," he said. "Mancini has called the player and me as well. But I said sincerely that Verón is very happy and grateful at being back at Estudiantes and it is very complicated to leave at this moment."

This is a strange one. Obviously Mancini knows Verón better than almost anyone else in football - and if he thinks he could do a good job for us then to some extent we have to defer to him. But Verón has flopped twice in England already - when he was at his peak as a footballer. The idea that he could come back for one last shot - a few weeks before his 35th birthday - sounds like a bit of a long shot to me.

But, combined with the Patrick Vieira transfer rumours, it suggests that Mancini might perceive a lack of experience, a lack of nous perhaps, in our central midfield options. Gareth Barry could fulfill those two criteria but he is, from a standpoint of a former Serie A manager, the wrong side of thirty. And, much as I rate him, he is open to accusations of failing to provide much leadership in the midfield, particularly when things are going against us. Classy, certainly. But brave? Not always.

At least, that's what I hope Mancini's looking for. Rather that than trying to buy the best midfielders from FIFA 2000. Because I reckon we could tempt Gaizka Mendieta out of retirement too if we wanted.

15 comments:

jackblue said...

the interesting articles in the Gruadrian were the ones about City's affluence and United's debt which will see them go bust in 2017.

Ahoyskin said...

Puzzling indeed. I have no idea what to make of this either except to just defer to Mancini. The FIFA 2000 comparison is great. How many more midfielders do we need?

Johnny Crossan said...

I see you are sharpening your scalpels already Lonely.
Mancini has yet fully to understand what depths of wisdom emanate from your blog.
Or should I just says it's the pits.

The Electric Donkey said...

Jack made the point pretty well and even suggested that although an odd move (Johnny, do you seriously think otherwise?) we should defer to Mancini. Whats your take on it?

Anonymous said...

Me thinks that Johnny Crossan is a narked rag. City on the rise, United up to their eyeballs in debt and likely to go the same way as Portsmouth & Notts County.

JC why don't you piss off back to red rag or whatever passes for intelligent debate on the Manure web fora?

Johnny Crossan said...

Electric Donkey - my take is that this is simply a made up story from Veron's agent aimed at improving his client's pay packet, put out Corriere Dello Sport for their traditional fee and picked up by the rabid Daily Star. Lonely sees it in the Guardian and immediately sees it as a stick to beat the usurper.

Unknown said...

A friend, a leader, a work ethic, a level head for when things go bad?

I don't know what he's after but I think I prefer the Hughes recruitment methodology.

Johnny Crossan said...

For Dear Henry Crun

With friends like you Lonely must feel very secure in his
London fortress. Do you have any understanding of football? Any knowledge of Manchester City?
I suppose as we slide down the razor blade of life we must encounter many painful interludes. You are just a little one my little sewer-mouthed friend.

Unknown said...

JC, clear off back to the swamp and start your own blog. I dread seeing your name in the comments and the negative drivel which is about to follow.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Johnny C descends into the "I'm a better fan than you" argument. The football forum equivalent of Godwin's Law.

Johnny Crossan said...

Henry, having labelled me a Rag I suppose I won't have long to wait for the revelation of my SS history.

I used to be a Lonely fan you know, but I'm afraid he needs the ark of salvation now.

Unknown said...

Is it the Johnny Crossan of City fame?

Johnny Crossan said...

At your service jfell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Crossan

Johnny Crossan said...

"He swallowed a lot of wisdom, but it seemed as if all of it had gone down the wrong way." (G.C. Lichtenberg, 1779)

The Electric Donkey said...

Well JC, you've certainly provoked some debate, even if its nothing to do with the article... Jack picks up on what he sees & reads and provides (what I consider to be) interesting well informed comment on them. Indeed in this case, Jack's comment "The idea that he could come back for one last shot - a few weeks before his 35th birthday - sounds like a bit of a long shot to me." means he pretty much agrees with you.

What I enjoy are the "what if" scenarios that are the bread and butter of fan based blogs like this. We can't pretend that we have any special insight, so rather than waiting until its written in the blood of a thousand lawyers, why not do what Jack does, which is post the news and comment along the lines of "seems a long shot and can't see the reasoning behind it but Mancini knows him better than anyone else, so I'll let him decide" and then talk about it. No sharpening of knives or ulterior motives that I can see. Maybe I'm not very good at spotting them.