Sunday 10 January 2010

Petrov's frustration and future

The Sunday papers are full of interviews with Martin Petrov, one of the main winners of the Mancini era thus far. He has started all three matches to date, which seems to have soothed his discontent, having been so firmly on the fringes under Mark Hughes. While it is always nice to have happy players, this is particularly important right now: Petrov has only six months left on his contract and so is free to negotiate a Bosman departure in the summer. I'd be sad to leave him City, but I would be distraught to see him join one of our rivals on a free. There are not many Premier League clubs that would turn down the chance to take him in those circumstances.

Petrov talks about his frustration at failing to hold down a regular place in the side despite doing well when called upon:

“But it’s difficult when you play well, score goals, do good and are the best player in the month of October and then spend another three games on the bench. For that, I’m a little bit unhappy — because I think I deserved to play...

“It was difficult because I’ve been away from Bulgaria for 12 years and this is the first time I had the problem that I didn’t play. It was a new situation and maybe I made mistakes because I was too frustrated.”

I can see why he would be frustrated. It's unfortunate for him that he plays in the same position as Craig Bellamy - our best outfield player this season. But it can't have been fun doing as well as he did when selected and still not starting regularly. Petrov admits that he considered leaving in January:

‘I was frustrated with Mark Hughes as the manager and maybe I didn’t handle it very well. For the first time in my life I’d play well then get left out of the team.

‘I would sometimes go home and tell my wife we would have to leave. We were happy as a family in Manchester but my situation was not good at work...

'I was not getting a chance to play when I deserved to. Mark Hughes never explained why.

‘If the manager had not changed, I might have left in January. But in football things can change in one day.'

That change has also involved increased tactical and organisational work on the training ground, which Petrov explains:

“Before [Mancini’s] first game against Stoke, we did a lot of work tactically. I think everyone now knows they must work on the pitch and knows exactly what the manager wants from them, and because of that the team is getting better and better,” Petrov says. “It’s very clear what each individual must do under this manager and I think that’s normal, because he comes from Italy — and you know how it is in Italy with the tactical stuff. We know we have a very good squad with big players but that if you don’t play like a team you can’t win.”

So what of his long term future?

"We have spoken once or twice, my agent and the club," he said. "Nothing significant has happened yet.

"I want to stay if everything runs well. Now is a different situation for me."

I'm very keen that a new deal for Petrov is tied up as soon as possible. A bosman transfer to Spurs or even United would literally ruin my summer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, a Bosman would be an absolute disaster however I am sure Mancini will not allow one of Citys best to leave.

If he did go to Spudland we would never hear the last of it. Next to the United fans, Spurs fans are the second most arrogant fans in the country.

StanMCFC said...

Petrov would have been on his bike under Hughes, which would have ridiculous. We need him as a squad player at least. As an old-fashioned winger, he gives us something different.

Great to hear about Mancini working directly with players on training ground, something I heard was missing under previous incumbent.

Wigan Blue said...

Best left winger since Coleman (and that includes a few good ones!). Not that happy about playing him on the right - not that he doesn't do a job there, but half his skills are wasted.

Still waiting to see our two flying wingers playing together with Robi and Ade in the middle.

Don't let him go to Spurs - they crucified us with just Lennon on the right...

TLDORC said...

Wigan Blue - what about Bellamy? What about Tévez?

Wigan Blue said...

JPB

Don't have a problem with Bellamy - and I certainly don't have a problem with Tevez. You've forgotten I think, that the rules have changed. We no longer have to play whoever the flavour of the month is and leave everyone else rotting in the reserves. We can now play whoever we think will do a job for us on the day. Bellamy - fine, although you will never convince me that he's a better winger than Petrov. Tevez? He's on fire, and until he gets totally knackered I'd play him just to see SAF gnawing his liver some more.

Who knows what state Adebayor is going to be in when he gets back? But I want to see Petrov partnering Robinho on the left, and SWP banging them across for Ade and Robi to pick up on the right. Maybe that isn't in Mancini's plans - but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't...