Monday 4 January 2010

Micah and Robi on course for Wednesday

So says il Mancio:
"I think that Micah will be available to play, he had a groin problem but it has not been too serious. Robinho is fine as well and has been back in training. De Jong is OK again after we took him off on Saturday with a calf problem."
Good news, for sure. But I'd only play one of them. And, despite the boss saying that there is a 'good chance' that Dedryck Boyata will play, I'd pick Micah Richards at centre back if I could. Boyata did do well at the Riverside, and I'm under no illusions about Richards, but in a game this big I'd rather have someone playing their 142nd game for the club than their second. My hunch is that Mancini will see it that way too but I just don't know.

And I really don't think we can risk Robinho in a game like this. The idea of a Garrido/Robinho left side getting shredded by Rafael da Silva and Luis Antonio Valencia is really very unattractive. I'd much rather play safe with Sylvinho in front of Garrido. But I'll cover this in my preview tomorrow.

2 comments:

thomas said...

credit on the 'merking'

funny, innit!

Culla said...

agreed, robinho should be on the bench with boyota. bellamy can patrol on the left, filling in where petrov wouldn't, and i think garrido might just shade sylvinho. biggest worry overall is lack of defensive pace but mancini should take this into account in his formation