Friday 12 June 2009

Barry backs Hughes

Not a surprise, but still nice to hear - Gareth Barry talking about the importance of Mark Hughes in his decision to join City.


“It was my first question,’’ said Barry, speaking at the City of Manchester Stadium. “I wanted to know that the manager’s future was safe here. I was assured by [chairman] Khaldoon Al Mubarak, [chief executive] Garry Cook and [football administrator] Brian Marwood at the club.

“I have seen it before over the years where a player has signed and a couple of months later the manager has gone. It is the last thing I wanted to happen here and I was assured the manager is getting backed and that the club is ambitious. I didn’t want to be coming here and playing under anyone else, really. He is a hard taskmaster but it is something I can adapt to. I have spoken to players who have played under him –like Wayne Bridge and Shaun Wright-Phillips with England – and they were all very complimentary.’’
I don't think it's unreasonable for those of us who supported the continuance of Mark Hughes as manager to feel vindicated by this sort of thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its 12.27 SSN has been in media meltdown about ladyboy mincing off all evening.
Sat watching just in case we sign up Tevez but no joy yet.
Barry back's Hughes is good to read but then Hughes chasing the crocked RSG FOR £15 million leaves a taste in the mouth, why.....?
Ho hmmm will probably be barking mad by the time this transfer window shut's
Woof woof.

Wigan Blue said...

I can see his point - obviously he wouldn't be enchanted if he signed on the dotted line, only to find that Rafa Benitez or Martin O'Neill was our new manager next week...

jackblue said...

It's time the Hughes haters went into a ten year hibernation 'cos he is going nowhere.

Wigan Blue said...

Well would he...?