Wednesday 20 May 2009

Target: sixth

I wish I could give this more attention, but I'm still pretty busy. If you haven't already seen it, Khaldoon al-Mubarak has given Hughes the target for season: top six. This sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Given the money we're going to spend in the summer and the lack of European distraction I don't see why we can't really challenge Aston Villa and Everton next season:
"I think a reasonable target next season is the top six.

"I think people see me as a reasonable and realistic man, and I think given what we have done this year and the ambitions we have this summer, a top-six finish next year should be a reasonable and achievable target.

"There will be money for new players this off-season. The areas in which the team needs us to invest are clear. We need more depth and to fill the weaker areas within the squad and plans are already advanced.

"I have been talking to Garry and Mark for weeks now. We are pretty clear on what we want, and I am clear on what Mark has identified as the areas that need to be supported, and we will step up.

"We all know we are not going to splash money around, because that model, that formula, doesn't work. You're not going to buy 22 new players and then the next year you win the Premier League.

"It needs to be done sustainably, with quality management, quality infra-structure and a quality manager by the pitch. That's what we are doing. The players will come, and the results will come."

2 comments:

Evan said...

My main concerns are sorted out after seeing a very healthy statement like this from the real power which is the owners.....they are giving Hughes the time,money and support to get City right and they are doing it consistently and strongly....I predict that he will start to exceed both theirs and our expectations because if we remove the impact of Uefa Cup and consequent losses thereafter ....then sixth was achievable this year....and if we get a new keeper,centre back,and a left back,two defensive midfielders,and at least two strikers and clear out Schmiechel,Ball,Mills,Berti ,Garrido,Dunne,Ben Haim,Fenandes,Hamman,Vassell,Sturridge,Evans,Etuhu,Benjani,Caicedo....ie 7 in and 15 out ...that will leave Hughes with a 25 man squad and academy to call upon.....the time is ripe to remove all our mediocre players and reap the rewards.....oh and i bet that ireland gets 80k a week.....

Unknown said...

I concur with Evan's main point above re. Khaldoon's statement. Very promising! However, as regards getting another keeper? We have Given and Hart, with Schmeichel in reserve.... Do we really need another goalie?