Tuesday 24 March 2009

Melo claims City interest

Fiorentina's Brazilian midfielder Felipe Melo has said this week that we're interested in signing him, according to the Mail:

The Brazil international, 25, has been monitored by Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger since his days with Almeria and his form in Serie A this season has also attracted City's interest.

Melo said: 'Yes, I know that Arsenal, Manchester City and Juventus are following me, but my agent is dealing with these issues. I only think about playing.'

These quotes were apparently given to Italian football website ITASportPress - I found the original source here. I don't know how reliable it is though.

Melo is a 25 year old holding midfielder who moved to Fiorentina last summer, having spent three years in La Liga (two at Racing then one at Almeria). He's had a good season with the Viola and was called up to make his Brazil debut in the famous Manchester City 2 - 0 Italy game at the Emirates a few months ago, anchoring for Elano and Robinho in a 4-1-4-1. But with the signing of Nigel de Jong, and the decision to use both Vincent Kompany and Pablo Zabaleta as defensive midfielders I'm not sure this should really be our main priority.

Also note Melo's use of the classic footballer's line:

But I have four years left on my contract with Fiorentina and I am a Fiorentina player. The future is in the hands of God.

No, the future is in the hands of you and your agent.

1 comment:

pjdemers said...

I agree with you that holding midfielders are no longer a priority especially if Michael Johnson returns to the fold. I would like to see us get two out and out wingers for both flanks. My theory being that when City have to chase the game we can actually resort to a plan b by bringing on players who will run at defenders or packed defenses to unlock the opposition. Especially if Sparky signs a target man who is proficient in the air.

it would also provide coverage and competition for Petrov, SWP, and Robinho. If not wingers then offensive midfielders with good dribbling skills to push and compete with Elano or again to bring on when City have to chase a game.