Tuesday 5 August 2008

Corluka to Spurs??

City fans are waking up this morning to the most disconcerting rumour for some time: Vedran Corluka could be on his way to Tottenham Hotspur.

Having read this and this, I'm feeling as bad as I did when the first 'Eriksson to be sacked' stories showed up in the press. Fuelled by fear, I'm grasping anything I can to tell myself it's not true (why would Spurs want someone who's UEFA Cup tied?). But more than anything else it's anger. How dare Spurs make a bid? How dare The Times report it as fact?

It would be absolutely criminal to sell Corluka. Yes, he makes mistakes, and the six points we should have taken against Fulham became one thanks to two of his slip ups. But if making occasional mistakes caused players to get sold, we would have already sold one defender to Tottenham this summer. Yes, I don't know exactly where he's going to play this year. He's done very well at right back so far but we have been linked with Michael Chretien, and have signed Tal Ben Haim which could allow Micah to move to full back. My dream was that Corluka could be used at left back. But in four competitions, he will certainly play as much as he ought to.

The fact is that Charlie is ludicrously talented. He has everything a defender needs. He's already the second best right back in England, and with a few years more experience, will be one of the best in the world. I have more hope concerning his future prospects than anyone else at City, even Richards or Jo. And with one newspaper column, I'm back here again.

No comments: